Anastasia’s inspiring weight loss journey proves how important it is to have a healthy, well balanced lifestyle no matter your age or size.
8 years ago I fell pregnant and gained over 20kg. I was so huge everybody was asking if I was having twins. After giving birth my life was moving 100 miles an hour and making time for myself was nearly impossible. I was in a comfortable routine of being a mother, a wife, a worker and getting a decent sleep those days was a bonus and so it seemed impossible for me to lose the weight.
My turning point was sometime last year when my daughter asked me to run with her from the car to school. I was so out of breath I couldn’t keep up. I thought to myself this is ridiculous – I’m 35 but I feel so old! I don’t want be like this anymore, I need to make a change.
The thought of joining a gym where I would be surrounded by super fit and attractive people was far too intimidating for me, so I looked up ways I could exercise at home until I was in a more ‘acceptable’ shape to join a gym. But it happened again, I was stuck in the same old routine and finding time to exercise seemed impossible.
I then came across a Groupon voucher for a month’s gym membership. In that 4 weeks I found myself hooked and was actually enjoying exercise. I was feeling happier and found myself having loads more energy during the day. I now train 5-6 times a week at All Sorts and I love it!
Fitting the gym in to my busy schedule hasn’t been easy – I have had to move a few things around in my day and sometimes it means my day is extra long. But to be healthy and happy is so worth the sacrifice! I can now run with my daughter and even beat her!
So here I am, still an ongoing transformation journey to a fitter healthier me, I have gone down 3 dress sizes and am 10kg lighter!
My 6 top tips to get started:
1. Schedule your training time like a meeting, put it in your diary and stick to it. The first one is always the hardest but schedule the times in your diary for next few weeks. Trust me, it doesn’t matter how busy you are, you CAN find the time.
2. If it is your first time training, think about getting fitter, not about how much kg you want to lose. I was far more focused when I wasn’t stressing about the number on the scales. The scales aren’t important as you can gain muscle and lose fat but can still be the same weight.
3. Take a photo of your body, and take more photos quarterly or bimonthly. You will be amazed with your achievements! And use that to keep you motivated for the next quarter.
4. It will feel sore. After a hard training session I always feel very sore the next morning but I have to keep moving and do some stretching – Yoga and Pilates are good for recovery day.
5. Try all the classes so you can find the one that you love! Talk to a trainer and make sure they know you are new so they teach you proper techniques for even basic exercises to avoid injury.
6. Most importantly, smile and enjoy ‘me time’ in the gym/class!
All Sorts has such a wide variety of classes and equipment it’s hard to get bored. I love to mix it up with GRIT, TRX, Combo, BodyPump, BodyAttack, Boxing and FFC. These classes are great for complimenting each other. Tuesdays are my back to back classes with 30 min GRIT class followed by TRX!
If I can do it, I believe anyone can too! Just take that first step in the fitness wheel and get it rolling. It will feel easier once you get into routine it’s just taking that first step!”